North Carolina State University is a public, coeducational research school. Their objective is to analyze the market conditions for opening a campus for a US university within China. This would allow for the development of a strategic roadmap for the university to utilize. The market conditions and nature of the key players have been utilized as a comparative measure.
The market potential regarding a US University in China was analyzed by:
- Gap analysis
- Comparative SWOT
- Radar Chart
- Best in Class Marketing Approach
At least one analytical tool per segment was used to generate the data. The following 8 parameters were set for qualitative and quantitative data:
- Cost effectiveness
- Course Offering
- Student Profile
- International Partnerships
- Marketing Campaigns
- Physical Location
- Low market potential for US school due to preference of local students for local institutions
- Local students prefer to study abroad rather than at an extension university for a US university in China
- Majority of respondents of the research prefer to study in Beijing and Shanghai.
- Local key players rarely use advertising campaigns to attract students. The reputation of the schools is considered as the advertising campaign used by local universities.
- Only 30% of students desired to attend China based US Universities; of those students from international schools, those who failed the entrance exams, and the middle class are the most likely to go.
- Implementation will require a substantial dedication of top resources
- Partnership with local players (businesses and other colleges)
- A strong marketing campaign including the use of the yearly education expo
- Limited use of scholarships because they are viewed as a negative in terms of quality
- Curriculum focus needs to be at industry standards per subject; English is an area of focus that would be very useful
- SWOT analysis reveals major weaknesses in 5 major universities. US universities should take advantage of their strengths: e.g., highly regarded standards/curriculum and more relaxed and holistic student development